A Day in the Life

Every day a different life,

A different job, a different strife.

With every day that I get old,

A new piece of me retold.

Name:
Location: River Grove, Illinois, United States

Friday, September 09, 2005

Today, a Computer Engineer

The term "Computer Engineer" is an interesting phrase, to say the least. It basically describes 2 groups of people. The first is the group who is interested in the innerworkings of the modern pc and chooses to earn his/her degree in order to study, maintain and improve these amazing devices. The second group is make up of people who are interested in the innerworkings of these machines which, ironically, never seem to work and further study them with the good end of a baseball bat. I happen to fall into the second group.

If anything computer related would go right for one day I would just cry out in joy for the heavens themselves would open to all. I wake up when Annie calls me to give her directions to this building. That was simple: mapquest, call. Then, after I actually got out of bed for the day, awesome Sky Networks broke our internet. When I called they said they were updating the systems. (Anger level: 4/10)

I then had to drag my laptop all the way across campus to my CS lecture so my friend could help me finish my homework and submit it. It would have been so easy if the stupid thing didn't have to be done in UNIX!!! I couldn't edit the files on my computer without corrupting them, I had to change a huge section of my code because the output wasn't EXACTLY perfect, and I had to write four lines of comments for every single line of code! (Anger level: 7/10)

Luckily, my friend Ian got me through the entire ordeal without too much drain bamage, and I actually got the homework in on time. Let me just warn you all; if you ever hear the word "unix", run far, far away. (Anger level: 2/10)

Between lectures I went to my old suitemates' apartment (note: I accidently spelled it "sweetmates" before realizing it) and played a bit of Halo, which was fun. (Anger level: 0/10)

When I finally got done with classes, I headed back to the apartment to finish my CS 173 homework. (2 CS classes = 2 many: the law of twos) The original plan was to write my homework on paper, scan it, then email it to my TA as an attachment. I figured that I had to do this seeing as there is no key for an upside-down 'A', or a backwards 'E', or a broken minus sign, or a real arrow... So I wrote everything out, then put it in my scanner and pressed scan. Nothing happened. (Explative deleted) I tried again but no such luck. It just printed a page displaying the color properties. Lotta help HP. (Anger level: 8/10)

At this point I knew that I had to type everything out in Word and send it in via something. I typed it, which was a blast, and opened up compass. I tried to attach the document as my teacher described, but that didn't work. I finally just had to paste the entire thing into a text box that could very well be anything. I have no idea what's going on with the stupid internet. (Anger level: 10/10)

After all this, I looked back on the past couple days. The things that first came to mind were the random points of uber slow internet, and the fact that I had to buy (my parents had to buy) a remote for CS 173 so I could voice my electronic opinion in polls. Not to mention everything in the world is overpriced. (Anger level: 15/10)

And as I sit here, my left arm tingling, shaking with rage towards the world, I have the sudden feeling that I will one day be the one to fix all computers everywhere. I will use my knowledge of processors and GUIs to make the most user-friendly PC ever. That, or, I will use my knowledge of baseball bats. Whichever seems right at the time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Oh, you make me laugh. Even though I understand nothing about computers. And I'm sorry I woke you up yesterday morning...you know I'm no good with directions.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here hknorla.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Are you really serious about your weight?. Research shows that nearly 80% of all United States adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here!
Not that I do CE, but I'm working on it. Lol thanks. :D

9:37 AM  
Blogger Citizen Snips said...

As a CE major, I'm glad to see that every day of my life has been experienced in a similar way by someone else.

Hope it's working out for you here in 2012. I'm currently weighing the benefits of sleep vs. doing the 6 assignments I have due by Wednesday.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Citizen Snips said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Citizen Snips said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home